Reissuing or Replacing Series HH Savings Bonds

We no longer offer Series HH savings bonds, but some we issued in the past havenít matured and are still paying interest.

On this page:

Reissuing or replacing?

Reissuing: If you want to change who owns the bond or who benefits from the bond in the future, or if there is a major error, we must reissue the bond.

Replacing: If your paper bond is lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed, or you never received it, you can file a claim application (not a reissue request) for the bond. Replacing a Lost or Destroyed HH Bond.

Note: Individual savings bonds may not be split and must be distributed in full.


What changes do NOT require reissuing the bond?

We do not reissue bonds for these changes:

Situation What to do
Name change because you got married No reissue needed. When you cash in the bond, sign both your name that is on the bond and your married name.
Minor typo in your name No reissue needed. When you cash in the bond, sign your correct name.
Address change No reissue needed.
Wrong Social Security Number No reissue needed, but we need the correct SSN. For instructions on what to write and where to send the information: Correcting a Social Security Number on a Savings Bond.

When must Treasury reissue the bond?

We must reissue a bond in these situations:

  • to correct a major error
  • for a court-ordered change
  • when you change the beneficiary
  • when you change who owns or co-owns the bond, as permitted by regulations.

What form do I use?

The following sections tell you what to do for each situation that requires reissuing a bond.

Each form is available in two ways:

  • We can mail you a paper copy.
  • You can fill out a form on-line, print it, sign it, and mail it to us.

The on-line forms are in Adobe Acrobat PDF. If you do not have Acrobat Reader on your computer, download the free Acrobat Reader

To correct a major error

For a major error, such as
  • the first or last name of an owner, co-owner or beneficiary is not on the bond
  • a name is misspelled and it's not a minor typo

For a court-ordered change of a living owner

  • A court has appointed a guardian, conservator, or similar representative for the estate of a living owner or co-owner. This may happen for
    • a minor (child)
    • a person who cannot handle his or her own affairs due to age or illness
    • an absentee

When the bond owner has died

See ďDeath of a Savings Bond Owner

When you change the beneficiary

You want to

  • add a beneficiary
  • remove a living beneficiary
  • change the name of a beneficiary because of annulment, divorce, or court order. Note: Change for a new married name is not required.

When you change who owns or co-owns the bond

You want to reissue the bond into your personal trust
You want to
  • add another person as a co-owner
  • change a beneficiary to a co-owner
  • change the name of an owner or co- owner because of annulment, divorce, or court order. Note: Change for a new married name is not required.
  • name a new owner or co-owner instead of the current owner or co-owner
  • remove a co-owner (or all co-owners).

Who must approve a change?

Situation Who must sign
Two living people co-own the bond and want to make a change that is allowed. (if you are not sure whether the change you want is allowed, write to Treasury Retail Securities Site, P.O. Box 9150, Minneapolis, MN 55480-9150, or call 844-284-2676 (toll free). Both co-owners must sign the form
Two people co-own the bond and one needs to make a minor change such as changing his or her own name Only the owner making the change about himself or herself must sign the form
The owner wants to change the beneficiary The owner can make this change. The beneficiary does not have to agree to the change.

Must I pay taxes when Treasury reissues a bond?

If the name of the living first-named owner is removed from the registration, then that individual is responsible for reporting on his or her federal income tax return any deferred interest shown on the face of the bond.

IRS Form 1099-INT is mailed to you after the end of the calendar year.

Reissue will not be made if the request is received less than one full calendar month before the final maturity date of a bond.

Tax Considerations for HH Bonds


Replacing a Lost or Destroyed HH Bond

To get a replacement for a lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated HH bond, complete FS Form 1048 (download or order)

Take the form to your bank and sign it in the presence of an authorized certifying officer. See the formís instruction page for information on getting your signature properly certified.

Mail the completed form to the address on the form.

The replacement bond will have the same issue date as the original.

Once you receive replacement bonds or payment for lost bonds, the original bonds become the property of the U.S. government. If you later find the original bonds, you must return them to our office.

(Note: Before Series HH savings bonds, we issued Series H savings bonds. All H bonds have matured.)